Living, Learning, and Laughing with the Lips Family


Saturday, June 27, 2009

Girls Camp 2009

What a whirlwind of activity Girl's Camp was this year! 3 days of hard work and fun...what could be better??? Doing it with terrific young women, amazing leaders, and best of all - Haley!!! Haley isn't quite 12 yet, but because she is going into 7th grade, she is allowed to go to Girl's Camp. She worked so hard and had a ton of fun! We are both exhausted!

Here's a glimpse at our fun...

Cooking hamburgers and foil pack potatoes for dinner with our good friend Kaitlyn Jackman


Haley and her new friend Taylor. Haley made a TON of new friends. Everyone enjoyed being around her.




Wearing the Breastplate of Righteousness during our opening devotional. The girls were taught about wearing the armor of God.




Patiently awaiting the start of skit night and a HUGE bonfire...Yeah for lots of rain this year! No fire ban!



Haley said she had never roasted marshmallows before, so I helped her toast them a perfect golden brown...then she enjoyed some yummy smores!



Truth Number 1 about campfires: Smoke follows beauty!

It was so fun to be together!!!!!



Hoisting the flag on Day 2. I designed our very cool flag pole (if I may say so myself). It did fall once, but only because a young woman, with a huge tree branch, let it fall on one of the supports. Never fear, we managed to keep the flag off the ground.


We did a hard 5 mile hike. I know the above pictures don't do the difficulty justice, but it was HARD! A lot of rough terrain, some steep spots, rain, and lots of mosquitos (a big problem because of all the rain). Not to mention the fact that we were at approximately 10,500 feet above sea level. I was so proud of Haley, and all the girls, for just plugging on. They were all exhausted when we finished.


Playing Spoons during downtime after our hike.

Playing games during Bishop's Night.



Enjoying pie and Mexican ice cream bars which the Bishop's brought to camp.



Brynna, whose cabin we stayed in, carries rocks for our service project. We completed a marked trail to the fire pit as a thank you for the Ashton's hospitality.



Getting ready to head home (7 girls had already left)...


Can't wait until next year....

3 comments:

emily said...

what a neat experience for you both! looks like a lot of fun. i'm jealous. :)

MerileeAshton said...

Hey now...according to a poll, the hike was only hard on the way up. ;) I'm very proud of the 1st years because 5 miles is a big accomplishment when they only 'had' to go 3! :) I'm also SO pleased Haley had fun and clicked with the girls! What a sweet girl! I had a fun time too, thanks for sharing the pictures as I took SO few! :o

Janelle said...

Fun girl's camp pictures! Bummer I missed it. :)
I haven't been able to check your blog for a few weeks now. I had fun catching up!