Living, Learning, and Laughing with the Lips Family


Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Utah 2009 - Oquirrh Mountain Temple Open House

Russ had to work (he's a paramedic with the fire department) so I dropped off Cody and Colton at Russ' mom's house. We drove to Salt Lake City where we picked up my cousin Zach Edens at the airport.

From there we attended the Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple open house. It is a beautiful building, and it was such a joy for me to take my children into the temple and tell them about it. The tour started with a movie about temples and ended with refreshments in a HUGE tent that looked nothing like a tent on the inside - it was beautiful, with gorgeous pictures of the Savior and temples.




For those of you within the reach of this blog that are not familiar with temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I encourage you to take a look at http://www.lds.org/temples/purpose/0,11298,1897-1,00.html to learn more about these sacred buildings.

As a side note, Oquirrh is pronounced "oker," kind of like I would imagine George W. Bush pronouncing okra. Oquirrh is a Ute Indian word that means "shining mountain" or "glowing."

We spent the rest of the day resting, playing, and generally going CRAZY! I have forgotten how hard it can be to take care of so many little kids at the same time, and particularly little kids whose mom has been out of the country for almost 2 weeks. I think Corbin, Cody, and Colton were VERY ready for Mindy to come home. I told Zach that if he was hoping for a little peace and quiet before entering the Missionary Training Center, he had come to the wrong place. He was great with the kids and was a HUGE help to me - cleaning the kitchen floor after dinner was no small task!

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Thanks for taking care of my kiddos that day! I'm sure it was a little hectic, but since you're superwoman I'm sure you handled it just fine.

Lucky Larson's said...

Hey Tandy lives by that temple--to bad he didn't know you were coming, maybe he could have met you there for a while.

Kate said...

Looks like you had a fun trip to UT! I need to add your blog to my blog roll because I love looking at how cute your family is. Hope your doing well :)