Living, Learning, and Laughing with the Lips Family


Thursday, August 14, 2008

Best Friends Forever

When I was 7 years old, my family moved from Utah to Dallas, Texas. I made quick friends with a girl named Brooke Chapman. During the summer we were practically inseparable. I remember watching the Summer Olympics with her until late, late in the night, on this tiny black and white TV that we had. We would do "concerts" for our families, with our favorite music coming from a Cabbage Patch Kids audio tape. Brooke moved when I was 9, and I remember being absolutely heartbroken over it. I would lock myself in our little bathroom and cry my eyes out. It is strange how feelings of so long ago can seem so fresh today...

Dance Recital 2008

Lexi is experiencing the same heartache that I did all those years ago. Her best friend, Avery, moved to Georgia last week, and Lexi is heartbroken. I started babysitting Avery when she was only 8 months old and Lexi was 10 months old. Avery's mom, Deana, is a school teacher, so summers aside, Avery was at our house every day for nearly 5 years. I would nurse Lexi and feed Avery her bottle at the same time. The girls took dance classes together, went to preschool together, ate together, slept together, bathed together...you name it - they were practically sisters!

Riding bareback in Avery's kitchen - 2004

Our first joyride - 2004

Lunch on the town - 2004

Preschool Graduation 2006


Botanic Gardens 2005 (with Jenna)


Peace Project - Christmas 2006

Exchanging Gifts - Christmas 2007

Playing in the Leaves - Fall 2007


First Day of Preschool - 2005

Cover shot for "Darling Kids" Magazine - 2007

Arapahoe High School Mini-Cheers Camp 2007

Lexi's 2nd Birthday - 2003

This post is a tribute to best friends, of which I have had only a few in my life. May we all find that true friend who is there no matter what - who laughs with us, cries with us, and loves us just the way we are. To my dearest friends from my childhood to adulthood - Brooke (whereever you are), Alyssa, Alisha, Rachelle, Janelle, Deana, Mindy...I love you!

4 comments:

Janelle said...

How incredibly sad for Lexi!!! I had no idea they were moving! What a cute bunch of pictures though, they have grown up so much since we moved here.

Alyssa said...

Your post made me cry, and miss you!! Though my best friends (all 3 of them, including you) keep moving away from me, I'm so thankful we keep in touch and are there for each other when it really counts. I love and miss you!

Alisha said...

Meg,
I love you and look up to you so much. Thank you for being a true friend. I really miss you and wish we could live closer.
Love,
Alisha

P.S. Thanks for a good cry :), I needed that. You always make me feel so special.

Mindy said...

Poor Lexi! I am sad my best friend lives so far away, but at least we have an excuse to keep in touch, sister!