At school yesterday, the kids had their annual Veteran's Day assembly. Veterans from the neighborhood were invited and honored. Lexi sang in the choir. (I don't know why this video is sideways, or how to turn in around, so you'll have to enjoy it as it is. :)) All the kids proudly waved their flags and said the Pledge of Allegiance. I was moved to tears by a slideshow prepared by the 5th graders depicting what it means to be a Veteran, what it means to be free, and what it means to live in America. Before we left for school, she was telling me that the choir wouldn’t be taking bows after they sang. When I asked her why, she said, “Because we aren’t performing for us, we are singing for the Veterans. They should be the ones bowing!” She can be so insightful…
Levi and his good buddy, Milo
Lexi awaits the choir performance
After school I took Lexi and Levi to Fort Logan National Cemetery to see the gravesite of my great-grandfather who passed away in May.
He was 101 years old! Can you imagine the changes he saw in his lifetime? I marvel at all that transpired in the last 101 years. I didn't know he had even served in the military until I found out he was having a military color guard and salute at his service and that he would be buried at Fort Logan. His service to our nation must have meant alot to him for him to desire to be buried among his fellow soldiers.
The kids love looking at the headstones all lined up in straight rows, which as Lexi says, “is the way it should be – they were soldiers, you know.” She can be so funny and matter-of-fact!
Lexi left her flag from the assembly at Grandpa's gravesite.
We weren't the only ones visiting the cemetery. Aside from a lot of people paying tribute on Veteran's Day, there were a lot of geese, like these that took their time crossing the street.
2 comments:
You seem like such a great mom...I hope I can help my kids see the meaning behind holidays like this someday soon. Thanks for the inspiration!
What a great idea to go see Grandpa's gravesite. I wish we could!
Post a Comment