
My husband is sick (and at the doctor right now), so this is on my mind. My son has a cough and had brain surgery. My 2- month-old nephew has a bulging soft spot. My dad has some kind of asthma induced bronchitis. My brother had cancer. My sister-in-law's sister is having a baby-today! One of my favorite young women has rheumatoid arthritis. My adopted grandfather fell and hurt his back. My friend gets a weekly IV injection of antibodies because her body doesn't make any. My patients have cancer and are dying...
So, today I am thankful for doctors, nurses, nurses assistants, medicine, ultrasound machines, epid
urals...the list goes on and on! In my own family, three lives have literally been saved by the doctors and nurses at Children's Hospital in Denver. Words cannot express how grateful I am for the time, effort, and sacrifice made by those who care for us when we are sick. Years of school, debt, time away from family, long hours - all if is worth it to make a difference in someone's life.
So, today I am thankful for doctors, nurses, nurses assistants, medicine, ultrasound machines, epid
urals...the list goes on and on! In my own family, three lives have literally been saved by the doctors and nurses at Children's Hospital in Denver. Words cannot express how grateful I am for the time, effort, and sacrifice made by those who care for us when we are sick. Years of school, debt, time away from family, long hours - all if is worth it to make a difference in someone's life.
I will admit that the healthcare system in the U.S. favors the rich and makes the poor suffer. That is not the fault of doctors and nurses who get their hands dirty and cry at night when they can't help someone. At least we have some options - even if it means giving up all we have temporally to heal physically. My sister works in 3rd world countries where community members are trained by college age volunteers to teach people how to help protect their families from disease-because once they are sick, there is no help available. We are truly blessed!
As a member of the healthcare community, I encourage you to say thank-you to your providers and remember that they do their very best for all of us each day!
(Pictured with Levi from top left: Dr. Laoprasert (epileptologist and neurologist), Dr. Handler (Neurosurgeon), my sister and nurses)
3 comments:
HEY! It's Dr. Handler! He did Joel's surgery! What a blessing Children's Hospital is! AMEN!
Megan, I have really enjoyed reading these thankful posts of yours lately. I have been going through some rough stuff, and reading these have caused me to think about what I'm thankful for, and helped me put things in perspective. Keep 'em coming!
thanks for your thoughts!
Post a Comment