Thankful for history? What in the world does she mean? I'll explain.
It's all about progress...
Today Paul and I took the kids to the Colorado History Museum. It was a free day and the opening of a great new exhibit about Denver, which is celebrating its 150th Birthday. We had a lot of fun exploring a museum we've never been to and learning about the history of Colorado.
The kids made passports that they took around the museum, and when they had completed an activity or learned something new about Colorado history, they received a stamp.
Because of the special event today, there were areas open which are usually only available to school groups.
We explored an 1899 classroom:
Did some gold panning (didn't find any gold - bummer, maybe it could have paid for Christmas!)
Tried our hand at making cornmeal
And took a nap in a tipi (can you find Levi hidden under there?)
So, thankful for history? Well, perhaps I should say, I am thankful for the preservation of history. We learn in the scriptures that the past is meant to teach us how to live in the present and prepare for the future. The preservation of historical artifacts and events teaches us so much about where we have come from as a people and where we are going. For example, the display on the KKK in Denver...who knew that they basically ran the city? I didn't...look how far we have come!!!
Among other things, we learned about Native Americans of Colorado and watched the Denver Indian Singers and Dancers. The littlest dancer was 2 years old-and so darling! Talk about teaching our children about our heritage and history!
I guess the study of history and the preservation of it through museums, the scriptures, art, etc. reminds me that we are not defined by who we once were, but by who we are currently and by who we are trying to become. We can learn from our past and allow it to help us build a better future (or in the case of this exhibit, Build a Better City).
No comments:
Post a Comment